Syringes (Sharps)

Putting loose sharps into the garbage is a health risk for solid waste workers. The best ways to dispose of sharps generated in the home is through a local pharmacy, a mail-in program, at your doctor’s office, or at a designated drop-off location. More information can be found on the King County Local Hazardous Waste Management Program website or by calling the King County Household Hazards line at 206.296.4692; or by emailing

If the options above are not available, syringes may be disposed of in the garbage if placed in puncture resistant container such as a number two (2) HPDE plastic bottle, (ex. an empty laundry detergent bottle) with a tight fitting or taped lid and labeled "SHARPS, DO NOT RECYCLE."

Contact your local pharmacy and ask about their “sharps” collection services. Many Bartell Drugs stores offer sharps disposal containers and will dispose of sharps/needles for a fee. Contact your local Bartell Drugs store for more information.

Purchase a postage paid, mail-in container to dispose of sharps properly. To find out where to purchase, search for “sharps mail-in programs” online, ask your doctor, or contact the following companies:

BioMedical Waste Solutions

GRP & Associates, Inc


Source: King County Local Hazardous Waste Management Program

smaller larger

Service Update

All services are on schedule.

Carnation Customer Service

Hours of Operation
Daily 8am - 5pm

Carnation Pay By Phone 206.254.9947

Email Inquiries